Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Christi's Cinnamon Butter Muffins

We ran out of cereal and I didn't want to go to the store. So I went through the cabinets to see what I could find to make for breakfast! I had GFCF flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and the basics. So I tweaked a coffee cake recipe, turned it into muffins AND changed a few ingredients. I was afraid of the outcome...but they are SO good! They taste like Cinnamon Buns!  

Okay, so they are not very pretty but I purposely don't fill the cupcake liners to the top because my kids will take off the muffin tops and not eat the rest. If I only fill it halfway, then pour the icing on top, it soaks through the muffin and they eat the whole thing. So change it to fit your needs..those are just my personal adjustments. :)  

Christi's Cinnamon Butter Muffins  

1/2 c. brown sugar 
3 Tbs. Spectrum shortening 
2 egg whites 1 tsp. vanilla 
1/2 c. Vanilla Almond Breeze milk  
1 c. Bob's Red Mill all-purpose flour  
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder 
1/8 tsp. salt  

Topping: 
1 Tbs. Earth Balance butter 
3 Tbs. powdered sugar 
1 tsp. cinnamon  

Preheat oven to 375. Place 12 cupcake liners in muffin pan. Cream together sugar and shortening till fluffy. Add egg whites and beat well. Add vanilla and milk. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. (If you don't cook a lot, you may not have a sifter. I don't have one either, but I put all of these dry ingredients in a bowl and used my whisk and it looked perfectly sifted when I was done with it!)  

Gradually add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture and mix till smooth. This will not be a thick batter, but don't worry! Pour into cupcake liners, about half full, to make 12 short muffins (no muffin tops). If you want taller muffins, you may get 8-10 out of this recipe if you fill each liner about 3/4 full.  

Bake 15 minutes, check with a toothpick and if it comes out dry, they are done. If not, bake another 5 minutes. Mix topping ingredients and pour over muffins while warm. If your topping is runny, add more powdered sugar and cinnamon for a thicker icing consistency.  


MMM MMM GOOD! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment